LARGESCALE BAJA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LARGESCALE BAJA

forum for all large scale rc's

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

2 speed revision tip

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lan-Ed-Tul

Lan-Ed-Tul

2 speed revision tip Empty
PostSubject: 2 speed revision tip   2 speed revision tip Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:20 am

okay, reason for this tip is i recently swapped out the stock bones and boots for dark soul meaty bones and hostile boots.

if you do this swap, you will run into this: the tab thats bolted onto the 2 speeds backplate will hit the nipple end of the tranny /dogbone boot.

and this will rip the boot end right off as mine did. so heres the solution to that problem:

1. take off gear cover
2. remove the spur and pinion gears
3. then remove the bolts that hold that lil silver tab that a bolt holds the rear of gear cover on with.
4. once tab and screws are removed, stash in your spare parts box for some other time or place to use
5. now take gear cover, grind off that tab flush that went to the silver mount tab you removed.
6. now, if you have converted your clutch carrier over to metal version, you will have a couple spare concave washers handy. they have guide tubes on backsides, since i only had those on hand and not any i went to hardware store and got, i ground off the guide tubes flush to backsides of washers.
7. next look in your spare bolts you should have with truck, i had some on hand, or go to hardware store to get them, for 2 long enough bevel head bolts and locknuts. what your wanting lentghwise on bolts is to place bolt into washer like they go, then place the gearcover on backplate and make sure its all fitting on there snugly catching the lil plastic slip on plate in front of brakes.

8. then slip that bolt with concave washers through the holes that are in front where the old original gear cover pins go.
9. bolt end should be long enough sticking out of backplate to get the locknuts on fully engaging the lock portion of nuts, a lil out past wont hurt, just check your clearances.
10. it just so happens that the spare bevel head bolts i picked out fit perfectly through the existing holes in backplate where gearcover pins come out. so no slop fit, and the cone washers take up more surface area so spread the load out more.
11. snug up bolts, but not too tight, keep close eye on how tight, tight enough you cant move the cover is tight enough.

12. once satified that its all secured well, wont move and bolt ends are past the lock on locknuts, then remove bolts and cover, reinstall gears, and replace cover again. remembering not to overtighten the bolts. recheck snugness of cover. you wanna make sure its on there snuf enough it wont move and let that lil plastic slide on piece by brakes fly off.

13. and your done, and now theres no tab hanging out there to snag a boot or jam the axle and suspension.

2 speed revision tip 036
2 speed revision tip 037
2 speed revision tip 038

some pics of finished fix, you can see the bolt and cone washer, and the nut on backside. look how the cone washer fills up the entire area where otiginal gear cover pin head was, takes up more area, and spreads the load out better.

Last edited by Lan-Ed-Tul on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lordraptor1
Admin
lordraptor1

PostSubject: Re: 2 speed revision tip   2 speed revision tip Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:23 am

Lan-Ed-Tul wrote:
okay, reason for this tip is i recently swapped out the stock bones and boots for dark soul meaty bones and hostile boots.

if you do this swap, you will run into this: the tab thats bolted onto the 2 speeds backplate will hit the nipple end of the tranny /dogbone boot.

and this will rip the boot end right off as mine did. so heres the solution to that problem:

1. take off gear cover
2. remove the spur and pinion gears
3. then remove the bolts that hold that lil silver tab that a bolt holds the rear of gear cover on with.
4. once tab and screws are removed, stash in your spare parts box for some other time or place to use
5. now take gear cover, grind off that tab flush that went to the silver mount tab you removed.
6. now, if you have converted your clutch carrier over to metal version, you will have a couple spare concave washers handy. they have guide tubes on backsides, since i only had those on hand and not any i went to hardware store and got, i ground off the guide tubes flush to backsides of washers.
7. next look in your spare bolts you should have with truck, i had some on hand, or go to hardware store to get them, for 2 long enough bevel head bolts and locknuts. what your wanting lentghwise on bolts is to place bolt into washer like they go, then place the gearcover on backplate and make sure its all fitting on there snugly catching the lil plastic slip on plate in front of brakes.

8. then slip that bolt with concave washers through the holes that are in front where the old original gear cover pins go.
9. bolt end should be long enough sticking out of backplate to get the locknuts on fully engaging the lock portion of nuts, a lil out past wont hurt, just check your clearances.
10. it just so happens that the spare bevel head bolts i picked out fit perfectly through the existing holes in backplate where gearcover pins come out. so no slop fit, and the cone washers take up more surface area so spread the load out more.
11. snug up bolts, but not too tight, keep close eye on how tight, tight enough you cant move the cover is tight enough.

12. once satified that its all secured well, wont move and bolt ends are past the lock on locknuts, then remove bolts and cover, reinstall gears, and replace cover again. remembering not to overtighten the bolts. recheck snugness of cover. you wanna make sure its on there snuf enough it wont move and let that lil plastic slide on piece by brakes fly off.

13. and your done, and now theres no tab hanging out there to snag a boot or jam the axle and suspension.

hpoe you find this lil tip useful, thank you

worthless
Back to top Go down
Lan-Ed-Tul

Lan-Ed-Tul

PostSubject: Re: 2 speed revision tip   2 speed revision tip Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 6:40 am

lol yah i know, but at the time i did it, wasnt thinkin bout doin a pic tutorial. figured i would pass on the info at least, and if needed supply more detail if asked upon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 speed revision tip   2 speed revision tip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 speed revision tip
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LARGESCALE BAJA  :: Tutorials and reviews :: Quick Tips-
Jump to: